We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. We are OPEN starting July 6th for surf camp, summer 2020. When surfing we are naturally social distancing being outside in the fresh air, sunshine and salt water. Recent studies suggest that virus transmissions do not spread effectively outside when people are constantly moving. The virus has also proven to not spread in the ocean. This is what Summa Love is all about. A healthy active lifestyle outside in the fresh air and ocean. With that being said, our number one priority is the safety of our students and not transmitting this virus. Some bullet points for what we plan to do this summer to social distance. This guideline can change depending on data:
- All staff will have to be tested once a month. We operate 9 weeks out of this 2020 summer and we will get tested at least 2 times through-out the summer. Testing has become much easier and we plan to take full advantage to get tested on a regular basis. Staff will wear masks at check in. We will have disinfection spray and gels easily accessible for staff and students.
- There will be groups of 2-4 students per instructor. Students will check in on boardwalk with optional face masks. We will ask parents to keep their children at home if they feel sick. There will be a staff member making sure students keep moving at check in and keeping students 6ft apart other than family members. After check in on the boardwalk, staff will tell the kids what tent to go to for umbrella set up that staff will set up. Each student or family will bring their own umbrella and their instructor will assemble their beach umbrella in their designated spot with 6ft of separation from other students in their group other than family members. Students will be assigned their instructor during stretch. If camper comes solo, they will be grouped with kids their age and experience level. We will be contacting every parent before their kid’s surf camp to let them know what to expect, what rules to follow and what their kids need to bring to camp. If students are late we will have the boardwalk staff tell them where their group is on the beach and what umbrella to look for. This is all about getting the students off the boardwalk and on to the beach with wider spaces as fast as possible. It is designed to keep everyone moving while staff and students have masks on.
- After beach set up with their instructor, students will get ready for surfing with applying sunblock, picking out their boards and wetsuits. We will place boards and wetsuits on the beach 6ft apart to ensure social distancing. 1 group at a time to pick out boards and suits. Each camper will be assigned the same suit and surfboard for their duration of surf camp. Their instructor will help them stay separated 6ft apart when picking out equipment and will be in charge of their selection process.
- Students will stretch with their own crew away from other groups near their designated tent space. They will go over pop ups, surfing safety briefing and rip tide safety. They will surf for 75 minutes. When surfing, they will naturally be 6ft apart. Our staff will be stationed with their group in the ocean while surfing, but will not touch the students at any time unless the student is under severe stress and needs rescue which is very rare. After surfing, kids will eat their home lunch for a 1/2 hour under their umbrella near their own group at their designated spot. After lunch, they will reapply sunblock and get ready for surfing again.
- One more surf for 75 minutes after lunch before surf camp is over for the day. After surfing, the students will leave their boards near their designated beach location with wetsuits rinsed out in the ocean with no sand. Then they will pack up their things and head to the boardwalk for pick up from parents. Instructors will be in charge of getting their own group to the boardwalk where we will have another staff member making sure that the kids are separated while waiting for pick up. Then their instructor will disinfect all the equipment from their own group before storage.
- As per camp updates, we will be in close contact with the town of Long Branch and the state of NJ to follow recommended guidelines. If cases continue to drop, these guidelines could be relaxed by the time summer gets here.
We will still have that 2-2.5 hours a day of actual surf time this summer, student to instructor ratios will be low and we will create a fun and safe program this summer that is fully geared to surfing. Safety of the campers and containing this virus are the most important aspects of Summa Love this summer. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Contact Bryan or Gina at (908) 910-4552 or email@example.com. Thank you for being a part of the Summa Love family 2020! This summer we hope to continue our tradition of creating great memories and friendships that last a lifetime.
*IMPORTANT* We are sold out all summer and switching dates will not be possible for summer 2020. If we cancel camp due to poor weather, time will either be added to the next day of surf camp or we will add a Saturday session. If students can not attend the designated make up times, they will loose the day completely due to being sold out all summer with no options to use a make up at a future 2020 camp date. Make ups do not transfer into the New Year and expire October 1st.