- 4 older students who want to be with friends per instructor who have surfing experience.
- 2-3 younger students per instructor with less surfing experience.
- 1 on 1 student to instructor for young students who want to alternate catching waves close to beach with 1-2 other students.
Surf Camp days are for 3.5 hours during the lower tides for the best surfing conditions. Students signed up for the week must consecutively come to camp Monday – Friday. All camp days and makeups must be scheduled in advance with at least 24 hours notice. We ask for reserving camp dates in advance with no guarantee for inclusion with walk ons. Makeups can be used on designated weekends or up until the end of the season if space is available. We do not issue make ups or refunds for students who do not show up to camp without notice due to scheduling staff specifically for each day of surf camp with following strict ratios. Every Spring and Fall, Summa Love has an after school program. We also offer private surf lessons in the spring and fall. Please check out our rates/packages page for pricing details. We pride ourselves on being the longest running, safest and most established surf camps in our area with a proven track record for excellent service and a passion for teaching what we love. PEACE, LOVE & SHRED since 2005.
Typical Day: (please check out our covid page with precautions if necessary, 2021)
- Check in at drop off zone, walk to beach station and apply sunscreen.
- Form circle for yoga/stretch, rash guards are handed out and beach talk with campers.
- Form groups of 2-4 students with instructor.
- Surf for 1 hour. Total time will be 1 1/2 hours with yoga/stretch and set up.
- Take 1st break. Campers and instructors eat, hydrate, reapply sunblock and relax under tents for 30 min.
- Surf for another 1 1/2 hours
- Return rash guards, check out and stay with instructors until pick up.
Long Branch Location Details: 1 South Bath Ave, Long Branch, NJ 07740
- Students can bring lunch money to go to snack bar with parent or parent’s permission during lunch break (M-Th) or bring bagged lunch.
- Pizza included every Friday. Yoga included once per week (summer 2021 yoga may or may not be included).
- Showers and bathrooms are conveniently located near beach entrance.
- Art class on the beach is included with camp if surfing is either delayed due to rough conditions or we have 1 to 1 student to instructor ratios with rough conditions for surfing. Art class is optional with beach games or rotating with surfing if waves/rip tides are too strong to surf all at once.
- Body surfing with hand planters (included) is allowed at our camp beach in front of lifeguard stand with instructors in the water and on beach watching for safety.
- Long Branch town lifeguards are stationed at our camp beach as well as Summa Love qualified instructors in the water with campers for extra safety reinforcements.
- Extra water, all surfing equipment and extra sun block are included in camp tuition but we ask campers to bring water and sun block.
- Gift bags are included for all weekly sign ups.
- Parking at South Bath Ave and surrounding streets. Paid parking on ocean front. Easy drop off and pick ups are located directly in the parking lot to the west of oceanfront.
Students will gain:
Confidence, Self Esteem, New Friends/Connections, Environmental Knowledge, Surf Culture Experience, Physical Fitness, Yoga Experience, Development of Personal Identity, Sense of Competence, Stand Up Paddle board Experience, Self Exploration, Lifeguard Training Experience, Open Ocean Safety Experience, Moral and Social Abilities, Teamwork, Dedication, Compassion and Integrity.
Inclement Weather Policy:
If we have to cancel camp due to poor weather conditions you will be able to have a make up day to use during the camp season. If waves are too big to run surf camp instructors will make a collective decision about canceling camp. If thunder storms hit during surf camp, we evacuate the beach immediately and put all campers in the safety of staff automobiles until the storm passes. If conditions are safe we will resume surfing. If we have to cancel we will either extend camp the next day or issue half day credit for campers to use during a future camp date.